Posted to rec.woodworking
Prometheus Prometheus is offline

Default milling machine

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 03:29:49 GMT, "CW" wrote:

"Prometheus" wrote in message
.. .
How much do you know about mills?

A lot.

Probably more than me, but you're not the OP!

Depends on what you bought, but if you've got a manual mill, odds are
it's going to be less than suitable for making wheels. If it's a CNC
mill, or you have a rotary vise, I'd imagine you can get away with it.

No rotory vise needed. Simple tooling and you can make wheels rivaling a
lathe.

Really... I'm going to have to ponder that one a bit, as I've never
done it without a rotary vise. Do you mount the tooling to the ways
and turn the work in the spindle or something?

And generally speaking, a mill isn't going to spin anywhere near as
fast as something like a router.

No, but it doesn't need to.

No, it probably does not need to. I was thinking of mill marks if a
guy put a router bit in the collet, but a lower RPM would probably
work fine with a slower feed.