Posted to misc.consumers.house
D Smith D Smith is offline

Default Generator 220v Twistlock - (2) 110v outlets

"satellite_chris" writes:

D Smith,

Good point on connecting the 10ga wire to the receptacle. How about
using a receptacle with pigtails (although not cheap)?

http://www.onestopbuy.com/5362-L-8082.asp

I know that I need to ground the generator. A grounding rod seems
acceptable but how about connecting the ground on the generator to the
house ground?
A third option would be using isolated ground outlets like you
recommended which I am sure are probably available in a pigtail
configuration as well.

Chris

Once again, I am not somone that you can expect to get a definitive
answer from. The true expert is someone who says "I don't know" when he or
she doesn't have an answer. I can speculate along with you, but we're into
an area where I can do nothing more than speculate. And I"ve already
speculated as much as I can.

You seem reluctant to get advice from an electrician or inspector. I
can speculate that there may be two reasons you want to avoid that:

1) cost. An electrician probably won't want to do much for free, but a
good inspector may. It's an inspector's job to make sure things are done
properly. You are going to get a permit and get it inspected, aren't you?
Talking before hand is in the inspector's (and your) interest, as he
doesn't want to make multiple trips after asking for changes.

2) you don't think you'll get an answer you'll like. If that's the
case, you're playing with fire. Seriously. I wasn't making things up when
I told the story of my sister-in-law's uncle dying last week in a house
fire. I just talked to her tonight: they suspect it was the pot light that
was put into the kitchen that day, and the entire house was lost. The
funeral was on Saturday.