Posted to alt.home.repair
Smarty Smarty is offline

Default Repairing large holes in drywall

Boy !!! What a superb group of people here on this newsgroup !!

Thanks for the excellent suggestions. I'm really tempted to try those
"Insta-back" clips after watching the video, but I'm going to try doing one
of the 5 holes first using scrap material I have here to form the wood or
drywall frame. Looks like it shouldn't be too difficult other than getting
the final coat of mud to look smooth and blended.

Thanks again to all.

Smarty
"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
Whomever wrote:
On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 21:54:20 -0500, "Smarty"
wrote:

I have a room with 5 holes where speakers used to be mounted in the
walls.

Each hole is the same size........a rectangle about 9 inches wide and
about 14 inches tall.

Now that the speakers have been removed, I am left with filling these 5
holes. Cutting out new pieces of drywall to fit these 5 openings is not
hard. I am wondering how to attach the drywall, since there are no studs
anywhere near the cut-out openings.

Any suggestions are very much appreciated. Thank you.

Smarty

Grap two scraps of gyproc. Cut them to about 6" by 12". Scew one
screw into the center of each piece. This will be your handles. Slip
the piece through the hole and hold it against the back side of the 9
x 14 inch hole. Now screw it in place. Repeat . Now cut out a 9 x 14
piece and attach it to the scraps and mud..... there you go an all
gyproc fix that will not shrink and crack.

Regards
Dale

While screwing peices of wood behind the existing drywall is a tried and
true method, don't overlook the "modern way", drywall clips which
accomplish the same thing. They are sold in most building supply and
hardware stores. Here's some different styles:

http://www.prest-on.com/

http://www.rockitclip.com/index.html

http://www.alsnetbiz.com/homeimprove...ll_repair.html

Jeff