Posted to alt.home.repair
Andy & Carol Andy & Carol is offline

Default OT -- imitation antifreeze

"mm" wrote in message
This is probably OT, but I can't find a good general car newsgroup.

What is an alternative to ethylene glycol antifreeze? Some kind of
alcohol used to be used, but I don't know what.

Anything dissolved in a solvent lowers the freezing temperature and
raises the boiling temperature. Salt sound corrosive, but how about
sugar? Would that cause any harm? My engine has iirc both steel and
aluminum parts, plus there are rubber or neoprene parts. Any other
materials likely to be used in a '95 Chrysler cooling system?

I have a leak in the radiator, and until I can get a replacement and
have weather above 40 or 45 to put it in, it's just often enough below
freezing here that I can't just keep refilling with water. But for
money and environmental reasons, I don't want keep using ethylene
glycol.

Thanks

Go to your auto parts store, and if it is a small leak, get a product
called "ALUMINA" comes in a small tube. I had a 93 Chevy s-10
Blazer, with 70,000miles, with a small leak. I put a tube in the radiator,
and it sealed it up. i drove that Blazer for 130,000, and it never leaked!