Posted to sci.electronics.repair
UCLAN UCLAN is offline

Default DVD Recorder

Arfa Daily wrote:

Analog terrestrial broadcasting is due to end early in 2009. Cable
service is both analog and digital in most areas, but the cable box
puts out an analog NTSC signal. Some of the digital cable fare is
"free" (unencrypted), and can be received by any TV with a QAM tuner.
Our government has mandated that all local terrestrially broadcast
digital/HDTV stations carried by cable companies should be available
at no extra charge, like their analog counterparts. The majority of
HDTV sets being sold will tune NTSC, ATSC, QAM, and 8VSB signals. Some
have two RF inputs on the back, some only have one but will "remember"
channel settings for two different RF inputs, and some have only one
RF input and one memory group. LCD seems popular for smaller sets, with
plasma getting the nod for larger sets. Large plasma HDTVs are
OUTSTANDING!

Thanks for that. HD via satellite is also outstanding here. I have seen HD
in the stores over there in the U.S. ( I get to Florida and Vegas a couple
of times a year ) but had not taken much notice as to what the delivery
method was. Have you read about, or even seen, an S.E.D. screen yet ? I was
reading the other day that this new technology is maturing fast, and will
probably overtake plasma as the preferred large flat-screen delivery medium,
in very short order. Apparently, it can produce contrast ratios equivalent
to CRT technology, with full 180 deg vertical and horizontal viewing angle,
and zero motion lag or driver artifacts.

Ah, the best display technology that we may never see. Don't ya LOVE
litigation?

But seriously, a micro-CRT for every pixel sounds good to me. Too bad
Canon and Toshiba have now pushed commercial production of their first
set, a 55" SED, back into 2008. And, according to Toshiba, it is likely
that consumer sets will be delayed "past the foreseeable future" and that
initial SEDs will be geared toward the professional market.

So, so give up on LCD and plasma just yet.

[ See http://www.usb4ever.com/canon-sed-tv-p.html for a story about a
possible end to the litigation. ]