Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
William Noble William Noble is offline

Default Electric motor reversing question

vfds are great, of course I have one machine with three motors, one has a 27
speed gearbox, the other has 18, if I remember right, and the third has only
on/off - so that would be 2 VFDs or one capacitor and one relay to make a
static inverter and then the larger (6 hp) motor acts as the ponly motor for
the others. One of the other motors, a 2 HP relies on instant reversing to
make the machine movement go from "slow" to "fast", and a VFD can't do that.
(note, t his machine is not a wood lathe) So, whether to use VFD depends
on the specific situation
"Dan Bollinger" wrote in message
m...
any switch that will reverse a 3 phase motor can be used on a single
phase motor, you will just have unused contacts

You might be right about that. It's been a long time since I've used one
of these. Now its VFD all the way!

Dan