Posted to misc.consumers.house
nucleus nucleus is offline

Default Genie screw drive garage door opener, has anybody here had this problem?

the Sears chain drive has the chain coming at the extreme top of
head, whereas the Genie screw drive has the screw coming out
at about the middle of the head, that costs several inches of
clearance. my garage door is a sectional door and the door
the clearance on the 8 ft. finished ceiling is only about 2 inches
at the beginning of opening and 3.5 inches when fully open.

i contacted several local garage door dealers and most wanted
me to change the door rails. wish i had not purchased the
Genie screw drive opener!

On Jan 23, 4:23 pm, "# Fred #" wrote:
I agree with Doordoc. Are you mounting the new hardware at about the same
location as the old Sears?

identical location and as high as it would mount. still would not fit.

I have a one piece door with headroom less than that - 7' door with 7'-4"
clear. The only time that I need a low headroom kid is when I change to a
sectional door.