Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] RChaber@vom.com is offline

Default Telephone will not dial out--the kind of phone with no AC power

OK everyone. Here's where I am so far. I didn't think I'd get any
response! I'm glad to see there is so much knowledge out there.

Bottom line is that I got the original phone working and now it dials
out fine. The next to the bottom line is that I don't know what I did.
The new Radio Shack phone still doesn't dial out on tone, but it works
OK on pulse.

I had already disconnected all the other devices in my house and I'm
pretty sure I reversed the correct wires. Last night the old phone
wouldn't dial out. Today I repeated all my efforts and the phone
worked! I assume there was a bad connection somewhere or maybe a
nicked wire or something. I don't know that I'll ever find the precise
problem.

I checked outside my 30-year-old house. There is an old junction box;
no modern plugs! It was getting dark so I just took a wrench and
tightened the nuts. Each nut tightened a little and I could see some
green corrosion on most of the metal parts. Next time the phone
doesn't work, I'll do a thorough cleaning of this box.

I tried the new Radio Shack phone with spade lugs at the junction box,
and the tone dial still doesn't work. I'll try it at a neighbor's
house when I get a chance.

For the record, the old phone is from Western Electric and the date on
its base is 11/80. There is a sticker on the bottom certifying that it
was properly sold (to me I guess, but I don't remember) on
such-and-such a date, but the date is unreadable.

The new Radio Shack phone cost $11. When you figure that Radio Shack
had to make a profit on it, the packaging had to be paid for, and it
had to be shipped from China; there can't be much quality to the guts
inside.

This brings up the issue of what the "phone company" used to be. If
you're old enough to remember it, then you know. The youngsters
wouldn't believe it anyway.

I remember in the early '60's touring a central office. I do remember
banks of batteries waiting for the day they'd power the system. Even
then, there was a crew of old timers who communicated with these
batteries and kept them charged. I doubt such skills exist today.

Lastly, when the earthquake comes, (and it will), if we lose power, it
will be out for months. During that time wouldn't it be silly to have
a live phone line into the house and not be able to use it because I
didn't have a phone that didn't need AC power?

I forget the name the gentleman called me, but it's a name his wife
might call him if he gets his family in that situation. A neighbor of
mine took some courses in emergency civilian response. They warned the
class about how many people would get themselves into situations from
which they would have to be rescued. I was afraid the warning was
exaggerated, but that cellphone comment removes my doubt.

Thanks everyone. I'll be back if the phone acts up again.

RC

On Jan 23, 4:45 pm, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 23 Jan 2007 12:28:57 -0800, wrote:

[snip]

There is usually a box on the outside wall , its the demarcation point
between your hose wiring and the phone companies line.

In there is usually a test point that you can plug a phone into .On recent installations. Older ones just have a junction box with a

surge suppressor.

If it
works there the problem is in your house wiring.

I have actually never seen a domestic phone that required outside powerCordless phones always require outside power.

. The phone is powered via the phone line .

If you are reversing pairs make sure you are reversing the correct line.It's usually the wires connected to the center 2 pins of the phone

jack.
--
Mark Lloydhttp://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy