Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Repairing large holes in drywall

"Smarty" wrote in message
I have a room with 5 holes where speakers used to be mounted in the walls.

Each hole is the same size........a rectangle about 9 inches wide and
about 14 inches tall.

Now that the speakers have been removed, I am left with filling these 5
holes. Cutting out new pieces of drywall to fit these 5 openings is not
hard. I am wondering how to attach the drywall, since there are no studs
anywhere near the cut-out openings.

Any suggestions are very much appreciated. Thank you.

Smarty

You take a board about 3/4 inch thick, a couple of inches wide and several
inches longer than the hole is big. YOu may want to use one on each side
depending on how big the hole is. Place the board behind the drywall and
use some screws through the wall into the board . This holds the board
behind the wall. Then you can screw the new pieces of drywall to the
boards.