Posted to rec.woodworking
sweet sawdust sweet sawdust is offline

Default Advice on box glue up

I hope I haven't misrepresented my item here, I am making it to sell as a
toy. It is not tuned just a noise maker. The cost factor is an issue
because I sell them and would like to make as much profit as I can. In the
past 2 years I have made several hundred of the drums. I am always trying
to improve quality, lower cost and increase profit (not always easy). This
not an art object just a kids toy that goes with the other kids toys I make
and sell. I am always looking for new toys to make especially ones with a
historical connection. I try to make a version that is cheap enough to let
kids buy them and durable enough for them to give to their kids. While it is
not my intention when making a toy I do wind up giving a few away at craft
shows, Kids know a sucker when they see one.
"sweet sawdust" wrote in message
Need some advice on gluing up a box. This is a standard box about 6" x
11" solid wood with rabbit joints on corners (for appearance). Bottom is
1/4" ply glued to the box body, no problem yet. The top is 11/16" hard
maple with tongues cut in it to make a drum head. I need to fasten the
top to the body in such a way that there is no vibration in the top except
in the tongues. Gluing all four of the top to the box body works fine
except that I get wood movement that cracks the top and ruins the drum.
Any Ideas on how to attach the top in such away as to allow the wood
movment but hold the drum top to the box. The maple is kiln dried, and
seems stable in about 65% of the drums the rest get cracks. Finish is poly
on the inside of the box and drum head (sprayed on) outside is oil. tried
poly on outside no difference in cracking and liked oil better. Any
advice would be helpful.