Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] marks542004@yahoo.com is offline

Default Telephone will not dial out--the kind of phone with no AC power

wrote:
I like to have one telephone in my house that will work when the power
goes out.

I had an old push button phone that got a good dial tone, but wouldn't
dial out. I was told that in very old phones, polarity is an issue.

I bought a new phone today at Radio Shack, and it won't dial either!
The dial tone is fine.

I reversed the wires at the jack, but no help.

I tried the new phone at another jack, no help.

An AC powered phone works fine at the original jack.

I disconnected all my other phones and computers, no help.

Every other phone in my house has an AC power supply and works fine.
My computer modem works fine.

This is California, about 50 miles north of San Francisco, if that
provides any clues.

Can anyone help with this? Aside from not wanting to spend any money,
this is bugging me and i want to fix it myself!!!!

There is usually a box on the outside wall , its the demarcation point
between your hose wiring and the phone companies line.

In there is usually a test point that you can plug a phone into . If it
works there the problem is in your house wiring.

I have actually never seen a domestic phone that required outside power
.. The phone is powered via the phone line .

If you are reversing pairs make sure you are reversing the correct line.