Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Default Pilot (sometimes) won't light in gas water heater

David:

You said: "I'm not seeing a spark, but I don't really know
if I should expect that behind the window.". Are you expecting the button to
create a spark to light your pilot light. Most water heaters need to have
the pilot light lit with a flame. The button bypasses the safety of the cold
thermocouple so that gas will pass through the pilot light so it can be lit.
Most water heaters have detailed instructions on how to light, some
including mine fails to mention that a flame needs to be applied to the
pilot to light it.

"David Nicoson" wrote in message
ups.com...
EXT wrote:
When lighting a pilot light, one has to wait holding the button down for
at
least a minute. This can seem a long time when down on your knees in a
cramped place. Sometimes there is a click when the valve opens, but, as
with
my heater there is no sound, you have to guess. Once you let go of the
button it will shut down if the valve has not opened making it appear to
be
defective. So it pays to err on the long timeframe before releasing the
button.

Thanks for the reply.

It's not lighting and then going out, so I don't think that's my
problem.