SteveB

Default Horizontal bandsaw question

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
SteveB wrote:

My reluctance to buy a HF bandsaw was that I like to research a product,

and
then when I buy, I buy knowing that this thing is going to last a very

long
time. I am skeptical and cautions of the metals used in these cheaper
products, and as you know, some have very high failure rates or short
lifespans.

However, I have heard it too many times that the HF bandsaws are a GOOD
bandsaw that will stand up to many years of use by a hobbyist. Even

with
the minor tweaking, it is not like the bearings or main components are

going
to wear out soon.

What actually wears out on these little saws is the gears in the gearbox.

You
can get replacement gears from the Jet or Delta parts network, but I don't

know
if they will fit an HF saw. I doubt you will be able to get replacement

parts
from HF - heck, they have probably sold many different versions of the

4x6" saw
and don't keep track! However, if you clean out the gearbox when new, and

keep
good gear oil in it, you should get decent life out of it.

Once you have a cutoff bandsaw, like a drill press, you will wonder how

you
ever got along without it.

Grant Erwin

I am in for lunch right now. I am working on a wrought iron project
outside. I am using my Makita chop saw. There HAS to be something better
than this............

Steve