Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Andy is offline

Default Advice needed on prices for used equipment at an auction

Andrew Hartung wrote:
An auction I am going to tomorrow night has several good items. Can I get
your advice on the maximum I should bid on them?

Here is sort of a condensed version of the thought process I go through
in situations like that, roughly in order:
1.) How badly do I need it?
2.) Is it in decent shape? How much time would be needed to fix/tune
it up?
3.) How much does an equivalent new one cost? Would this used one
require any new parts, accessories, etc. in order to make it equivalent
to a new one?
4.) How much are other used ones going for, if available? (ebay,
craigslist in surrounding cities, classifieds, rec.woodworking
archives, etc.)
5.) How much can we afford? (accounting for any applicable family
opinions here)
6.) Even if I don't need it, could I for sure turn it around (ebay,
etc.) for a profit?

I think about those things, and bid accordingly. Yes, it does require
some research beforehand. However, asking what someone else would bid
doesn't necessarily line up with what YOU should bid, because your
answers to the questions above would be different than everyone else's.
Good luck and have fun at the auction - I've been to a few and seen
some screaming good deals, and some real rip-offs.
Andy