Posted to rec.woodworking
Charlie M. 1958 Charlie M. 1958 is offline

Default OT - Neighbor borrows tools and doesn't bring back

Like the old saying..."neither a borrower nor a lender be."

Your Dad sound a lot like mine, Swingman. I have a neighbor who has
offered more than once to let me use his old planer (he rarely uses it
himself), but I know with my luck the thing would give up the ghost
while I was using it. Then my conscience would force me to spend my
money on a new planer for HIM when I could have spent it on a new planer
for ME in the first place.

Swingman wrote:

Want a good deal? Loan a tool to me ... _IF_ you can get me to ask, that is.

I learned at an early age to return tools that "we borrowed in better shape
than they were before we borrowed them. I can't tell you how many tractor
box blades I painted after "we" (Dad) borrowed it, or how many shovels I
cleaned and oiled, how many hay cutter blades were sharpened and oiled, how
many horse trailers were polished to a show room shine, tools with edges
sharpened, etc., ad infinitum, before they were returned.

Not only that, if a tool broke when it was under loan to us, we fixed it,
had it fixed, or bought the loaner a new one. I borrowed a riding lawn mower
from my Dad at one point and the transmission went out before I finished the
job ... you can bet your sweet ass it had a new transmission when it was
returned to him.

It's one of the reasons I rarely borrow a tool. AAMOF, on a job site I'll
walk out to my truck to get a screwdriver instead of borrowing one from a
worker that is standing right next to me, just to tighten a screw on a
receptacle.

Not a bad way to be raised, and although I didn't always appreciate it when
"we" were doing the cleanup/sharpening/painting, I thoroughly appreciate the
response it instilled with regards to borrowing tools ... Thanks, Dad!