Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] kmy@hiwaay.net is offline

Default Dell Laptop repair question....

Have you checked ebay for a replacement motherboard? I know there are
always a variety of dell motherboards and parts offered.

Al A. wrote:
: Hi all,
: I have a Dell Inspiron 1150 laptop computer. One of my cute kids
: dumped a bottle of water on the poor thing, it was on at the time. I
: shut it down right away and pulled the battery. I opened up the case,
: blotted up the water, cleaned it up with some alcohol (semiconductor
: grade isopropyl from a fresh container) and gently blew it dry with a
: warm air gun. Whe I put it back together and put the battery in, it
: booted up and seemed OK. Of course once the battery got low I plugged
: in the charger.
: When I did so, the "AC power" LED and the "Charge" LED light but flicker
: on and off rapidly, and the charger makes the sort of "ticking" noise
: that suggests that it is being overloaded. The battery does not recharge.

: Bummer.

: Obviously something in the charge control stuff got wacked, but I have
: no idea how to go about locating what or where. If I can locate the bad
: stuff, I'm quite sure I could change them even if they are small SMT
: stuff. Besides, at this point, I have little to lose. Any ideas how one
: could approach troubleshooting this?

: The other last ditch option is to power it directly up via the battery
: slot. Then at least I could call it a "compact desktop" computer or
: something like that. The battery pack is 14.8V and connects via
: 9 "blades" in the computer. I assume that there are multiple positive
: and negative blades. Anyone know what the pinout of these are?

: Thanks for any thoughts.

: Best regards,
: AL