Posted to alt.electronics
PeterD PeterD is offline

Default Rewiring Series Motor to Compound Wound Generator

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 14:18:41 +0000, Coyoteboy
wrote:

PeterD wrote:

On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 22:31:17 +0000, Coyoteboy
wrote:

PeterD wrote:
Alternator charging batteries. Batteries feeding an inverter. Power...
Stable, clean and given enough water: significant amounts! Cost? Well,
not free, but small 150 watt inverters are not that expensive.

Also not likely to put out 150W -I have a 150/300 peak and it cant cope
with 70W constant draw.

I'd suspect that inverter. My 150 watt unit will do 150 watts all day.
Gets *warm* doing it (has a built in fan) so it is possible yours is
either not well designed (overrated!) or maybe not working correctly?

I think its over-rated - it runs flourescent lamps and soldering irons ok
but a 70W pair of hair straighteners (dont ask, camping with the
girlfriend) and it crapped out and blew a fuse in the car too! Worked fine
on everything before and since too, and straighteners check out ok.

Humm, I'd tend to want to check the current draw on the straighteners
too. Bet they draw more than 70 watts (especially when first turned
on). It is possible the *average* draw is 70 watts, but that there are
peak draws many times that. Easy to check if you wanted... g