Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Crosland Peter Crosland is offline

Default Testing Telephone Cable

I have a second telephone cable run from the master box in the
downstairs hallway, all the way to my distribution point in the loft.
This I intend to use for unfiltered signal when broadband is
installed. Pulling some power cables recently along a similar route,
I noticed that the second telephone cable had been "dented" and was
scorched on the opposite side to the dent impact over about an inch
of its length. This has obviously been the work of plumbers who upgraded
the ch
recently despite my urgings to them to take care of cabling.

So, the question, can I test the cable somehow to make sure its OK?
Will mean lifting lots of floor again to replace cable at this stage.

It is never good practice to put data or telephone cables in the same duct
or trunk as power cables. Neither should be in a duct with heating pipes.

Peter Crosland