Posted to misc.consumers.house
D Smith D Smith is offline

Default Generator 220v Twistlock - (2) 110v outlets

"satellite_chris" writes:

D Smith,

I plan to run 10ga wire from the L14-30 inlet to two 5-15R duplex
outlets. The length of this run will be about 12-24inches. Does this
configuration sound safe?

Thanks,
Chris

I'm not an electrician, so I'm not exactly qualified to judge.

...but, my impressions are that connecting the 10ga wire to the
receptacle will be difficult, and nothing will be really grounded. From
what I've heard you say, you want permanent outlets and wall wiring, and
this makes it a code issue, even though the generator may be a temporary
connection. You really need to talk to an electrician or inspector - if
you go to your local permit supplier with some plans, you can probably get
the advice of an inspector to tell you if it would pass.

Duplex outlets with what is called an "isolated ground" can be
installed (e.g., they may be present when outlets are fed by an
Uninterruptible Power Supply that completely isolates the circuit from the
mains). I know they exist, but the details are beyond my experience. The
ones I've seen are red in colour.

My sister-in-law's uncle died in a house fire last week, which probably
started as the result of electrical work done earlier in the day (by a
contractor). Electricity is something to be careful with.