Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Strange behavior of dimmer switch

Steve spake thus:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...

What gives? All I can think is that the dimmer is drawing just enough
current when in the "off" position to spook the tester. (Yeah, I know
those types of testers aren't 100% conclusive, but shoot, it's better than
sticking your fingers on the damn wires.) Why this would be the case, I
have no idea.

Although, I just realized: the dimmer packaging says "locator light" on
it; is there a dim light on this that is drawing this current? (I'm not at
my client's site right now.)

Some of these devices allow a trickle of current to flow through the bulb so
they can keep the circuitry energized. X10 switches work this way.

But why keep the circuit energized? (This isn't an X10 device.)

you're curious but don't really care about the quality of your knowledge.

- Matthew White's WikiWatch (http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/wikiwoo.htm)