Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.repair
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Lightning damage to USB drives?

Michael Kennedy wrote:
Rod Speed wrote
John Doe wrote

Anybody know of a USB flash drive being damaged
during a typical electrical storm or whatever other
common electricity surge? (I'm not talking about a
lightning strike close enough to destroy the whole computer.)

I'm wondering about the possibility that a hard drive and
a USB flash drive could be destroyed at the same time,
given the flash drive is always attached to the USB port,

It can happen if the lightning strike kills the power
supply and massively over voltages the 5V rail.

It would be safer to put the flash drive on a powered USB hub.

Just wondering Rod, how'd you come to that conclusion?

For the reason I mentioned in the quoting you snipped and I have restored.

More than likely the usb hub will be plugged into the same electrical source as the PC

Yes.

and therefore also be effected by the by the power surge.

Nope, not when its a simple wall wart plug pack for the powered hub.

Would it not?

Fraid not.