Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
William Noble William Noble is offline

Default Electric motor reversing question

any switch that will reverse a 3 phase motor can be used on a single phase
motor, you will just have unused contacts
"Dan Bollinger" wrote in message
m...
Here is an industrial motor reversing drum switch with center off
position. Some of these will do a single phase motor, other only a 3-phase
motor. This one does both.

Search eBay for item #120076756054

Dan

"Joe Fleming" wrote in message
ups.com...
All,

I am adding a motor to a mini lathe and have a wiring question. The
motor I have is reversible. I can add a switch to the circuit to
switch polarity and change rotation direction. Here is the question:

Can I switch the motor from forward to backward when the motor is
already turning? Or do I need to cut power and stop the rotation
first, before switching direction and reapplying power?

Thanks,
Joe Fleming - San Diego