Posted to uk.d-i-y
Autolycus Autolycus is offline

Default OT Energy saving question

"TMC" wrote in message
Hi all

I don't really understand why the M1 is lit all of the way from London
to Northampton but then only at some junctions from then on. Is it
because commuters can't drive in the dark?

Why not switch all of the lights off apart from at major junctions to
save energy?

Decisions on motorway lighting used to be (and probably still are) based
on an assessment of the economic benefits of a reduction in accident
numbers. This took into account traffic flows (actual and predicted)
and historical data on accident rates, which I believe are lower on lit
roads, all other factors being equal. There was also an assessment of
the incidence of fog at different locations.

--
Kevin Poole
**Use current month and year to reply (e.g. )***