Posted to alt.home.repair
Dave Martindale Dave Martindale is offline

Default Perplexing chimney downdraft problem

writes:

Agree with this line of reasoning. I think this could account for
the problem during warm or moderate outside temps. Then you have
basement air which is cold competing with outside air, or intially air
in the chase, which could result in little temp difference. The air
from the upstairs heated space is warmer and also has less distance to
go. In the summer when it;s hot out, I've seen this problem with
chimney entrance points in the basement. They exhibit very poor draft
on startup. Is the problem less when it's very cold outside?

I'll have to pay more attention when it's below freezing outside again.

Ironically, as the outside temperature drops, the furnace runs more
often, which tends to keep the basement warmer (the living room
temperature remains the same, since the thermostat is adjacent to it).
So the desire to warm up the basement room comes mostly when it's cool
but not really cold outside.

Dave