Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Darrell Feltmate Darrell Feltmate is offline

Default Carbide bandsaw blades

Thanks Steve. The protocol works a treat. My small bandsaw uses 72" blades
and metal fatigue sets in after the first 3 or 4 sharpenings and the blade
finally breaks, but that is still a lot more cutting per blade and the saw
has no trouble with 5" of maple.
___
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
Truro, NS Canada
www.aroundthewoods.com

"Steve Russell" wrote in message
Hello Darrell,

Glad to hear you're still using my bandsaw blade sharpening protocol and
that it has helped you a wee bit. :-) It has saved me several thousand
dollars over the years and I still use it regularly. I routinely get about
8-10 sharpenings on my steel bands with the abrasive wheels (150" bands)
and
about 15-20 on the carbide bands with diamond wheels.

For those who may not know about my resharpening protocol for bandsaw
blades, point your browser to the following URL for the article:

http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com...aw-blades.html

If any of you have woodturning websites, you may wish to add a link to
this
page to help visitors to your site take advantage of this time and money
saving protocol.

The protocol works equally well on steel and carbide bands and I have used
it many times on both types of bands. Of course, with carbide bands, you
need to use diamond disks to resharpen the carbide teeth.

If you have questions, or if I can assist you in any way, please do not
hesitate to contact me. Take care and all the best to you and yours!

On 1/18/07 8:24 AM, in article QqLrh.162771$YV4.95102@edtnps89, "Darrell
Feltmate" wrote:

Steve I get regular bandsaw blades from http://tufftooth.com/ and find
both
the blades and the service excellent. They also have silicon steel blades
similar to the Timber Wolf and these are excellent as well. I sharpen my
blades a la Steve Russell and find that i get about three sharpenings per
blade before metal fatigue sets in on my 72" blade. If you do go the
carbide
route it would be nice to know how it works out.

--
Better Woodturning and Finishing Through Chemistry...

Steven D. Russell
Eurowood Werks Woodturning Studio, The Woodlands, Texas
Machinery, Tool and Product Testing for the Woodworking and Woodturning
Industries

Website: www.woodturningvideosplus.com

³Woodturning with Steven D. Russell²
Volume #1 CD ROM e-Book * Available for Shipment
Volume #2 CD ROM e-Book/DVD Video * Available for Shipment
Volume #3 Double DVD Video on Bowl Turning * Available for Shipment