Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Watson Tom Watson is offline

Default Pinewood Derby Diagnosis

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 18:10:52 -0600, "NuWaveDave"
wrote:

Wheel balancing! And Wheel bearings . . . and machined axles. And,
synthetic bearing lubricants. Tried a taller gear ratio?
~)))))
NuWave Dave in Houston

To me, it is the transmission of the concept of craftsmanship.

The same mentality that makes you create a piston fit drawer, a
hermetic dovetail joint, a perfect deep gloss lacquer finish - these
are all created by the repetition of simple processes, and the truth
of success in any of them is - Character.

Going the extra mile. Being unreasoning in your pursuit of
excellence. Doing what needs to be done to make it as good as you
possibly can.

I don't have my boy stand in front of the drill press for an hour to
win this race - I want him to understand what it takes to win his
race, whatever that may turn out to be.

I have been somewhat facile about winning the Derby - I am much less
so about the lessons that the process teaches.

The goal with my son is never actually to beat anyone else but
himself.

Kipling had a great poem about it. I've had my boy memorize it.

Regards,

Tom Watson

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/