Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] cselby@mts.net is offline

Default OT - Neighbor borrows tools and doesn't bring back

Here's my question, is there a way to tell him I can't loan out my tools now
that I'm going to be using them more without ****ing off a neighbor? I'm
already going to have to ask for my other tools back since I need them now,
not when he decides he can bring them back. It gets to me a bit that he
always wants to borrow my tools since he works at Home Depot. I
figure that some of you guys out there have gone through this. How do you
keep it under control? I know I can say "no" everytime he wants to
borrow something, but won't that make for bad blood?

I loaned a circular saw to a relative once. Even put on a fresh
carbide blade for him. It came back covered in tarry stuff and the
blade semi melted. Seems he was cutting holes in his roof from the
top side and right through the shingles. When he handed my saw
back in that condition, I invited him to come to the tool store with
me. I picked up a new saw (BD same as mine and about $40.) and at
the check out told him to pay for it please seeing as how he ****ed
mine up. I said this loudly in the crowded checkout line. Whether
he paid up because of a sense of remorse or because I embarassed him,
I don't know and I don't care. He owns a a tarry saw with a buggered
blade that maybe you can come and loan from him one day. If you see
him, say you need it for a boat anchor.

Was I mean to him? Quite likely. But then sometimes you have to be
mean to the thoughtless inconsiderate stupids walking the earth.

Your neighbour works at a place that sells materials and tools? Why
are you not getting hime to buy you materials with his employee
discount. Or drill bits, saw blades, and other consumable tools.
Why not wait until the next time he asks to borrow something and tell
him you in the middle of using it right now, but if he wouldn't mind
picking up some oak boards and pay for it with his employee discount.
Be interesting to hear his response.

The best answer you got here was to point out the you have noticed
that your stuff is being abused. Do that again and the lending
stops.

Pere