Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Remove _ for valid address Remove _ for valid address is offline

Default Audio cassette pinch roller - 11mm

I'm trying to recondition an Akai GXC760D Hifi cassette deck
(late 70's vintage I believe.)

This is a twin capstan (both engaged at once) design that uses
11.0mm diameter pinch rollers. The diameter is quite critical
as there is only just enough travel on the carriage, the
clearances are tight, and I think the nature of a twin
capstan design makes pinch roller pressure fairly critical.
The common replacement sizes (9.6mm and 13.0mm) do not fit.
I think an acceptable range would probably be 10.5-11.5mm.

The height is 7.9mm and hole diameter 2.5mm, though these
are somewhat negotiable.

I've looked through a variety of usual UK parts sources
(RS CPC/Farnell Grandata CharlesHyde Seme etc)
and I get the feeling nobody stocks other than the two
'standard' sizes.

Anyone know of somewhere that stocks 11.0mm? Anywhere
in the world (though UK would be ideal.)

Alternatively, has anyone successfully machined down a larger
size (e.g. 13mm) on a lathe? My gut feeling is that rubber
is unlikely to machine down smoothly, though I've not tried.
Or maybe, if a VCR pinch roller of the right diameter existed
(is there a table of VCR model to diameter anywhere??) then
as these seem readily available, could one be cut down in
length?

Thanks for your help!
Mike.