Posted to rec.woodworking
eAlexandria eAlexandria is offline

Default Bleaching

On 21 Jan 2007 12:41:58 -0800, "paul"
wrote:

Hi I have tried searching for bleaching but I seem to be getting
conflicting information on the subject,
I have made some kitchen cabinets fronm english oak but when I oiled
them with raw linseed oil they went quite a brown colour some more than
others , I have now sanded this off , and am thinking about bleaching
to try and lighten and even out the tones , will this be possible and
would i then be able to apply an oil finish ?

many thanks in advance Paul

Having read all the comments ,they cover most of it. As for removing
the oil try solvent such as benzene or acetone, be sure to follow the
safety instructions. Also after a good wiping down, go over with a
slightly stiff brush and work solvent liberally into the pores on the
wood. Wipe down, lat face down on a absorbent cloth or if you have
enough; sawdust.

Once it is clean and dry, recommend a good wood sealer. this helps to
even out the oil or stain color you use by sealing up the pores and
evening out the absorption of the oil / stain.

As with all advice, get advice from others before following advice.