Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Default "non-shop" stuff that's useful in the shop

Mon, Jan 22, 2007, 10:46am (EST-3) (Andy) doth
posteth:
I've been realizing recently that I have a lot of stuff in the shop that
I wouldn't consider traditional "shop-type stuff". snip

My versions:
1. Scissors or shop snips snip
Just some el-cheapo scissors.
4. Small containers snip
I get small snap-on top plastic containers from the grocery store. Work
for small amounts of paint too.
5. Cable ties (zip-ties) snip
I've got some big ones.
6. Masking tape, snip
Just masking tape, but seldom use it. For those very, very, rare
occassions I need duct tape, got some in the house and vehicle.
7. Twine/light rope
8. Weather stripping snip
As a matter of fact I'll be using a bit for a future project - but don't
anticipate using more later, but never know.
9. Distilled water snip
Water, yes; distilled, no. I've got a deep well, and the water tests
almost chemically pure, son don't need to mess with distilled water.
10. Cheap disposable straight razor blades (mini-scrapers, back-ups if
my utility knife isn't handy, etc.)
I have fishing knife my dad made 60 years or more ago hanging in the
shop. So far that does every thing I need.
11. 3-in-1 oil snip
I've got some Marvel Mystery Oil in a pump oil can and in some small
eye-drop bottles. The eye-drop bottles are one of my better ideas.
12. Rare earth magnets - thanks Lee Valley!
Radio speaker magnets. One on top of the drill press holds drills and
chuck keys very nicely. One on a string is great for picking up screws
and nails from the floor, or behing machines, especiall out of sawdust.
Doesn't work with non-magnetic screws. Welding magnets.

Also:
Waxed paper.
Old hair dryer.
Magic markers.
Chalk.
Window fan.
Broom.
Dust pan.
Jug of white vinegar.
Wire coat hangers.
Plastic file case - holds tool paperwork, a couple of reference books,
etc.
Mesh fruit bags - holds small pieces of trees, for later
turning, or carving; and
unassembled cam clamp parts.
Two or three plastic buckets.
Large plastic jug - that gets all the odd
screws, bolts, etc.
Large liquid soap jugs - make excellent
scoops, much sturdier than milk jugs.
I also fill some with sawdust, for
traction for the vehicles in winter on
ice and/or snow..
Window fan.
Chainsaw - for when I want to do delicate
wood carbing.
Probably more, but that's all I can think of right off the top of my
head.

JOAT
Bugrit. Millennium hand AND shrimp.