Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Dan Bollinger Dan Bollinger is offline

Default Electric motor reversing question

Here is an industrial motor reversing drum switch with center off position. Some
of these will do a single phase motor, other only a 3-phase motor. This one does
both.

Search eBay for item #120076756054

Dan

"Joe Fleming" wrote in message
ups.com...
All,

I am adding a motor to a mini lathe and have a wiring question. The
motor I have is reversible. I can add a switch to the circuit to
switch polarity and change rotation direction. Here is the question:

Can I switch the motor from forward to backward when the motor is
already turning? Or do I need to cut power and stop the rotation
first, before switching direction and reapplying power?

Thanks,
Joe Fleming - San Diego