Posted to rec.woodworking
Charlie Self Charlie Self is offline

Default OT - Neighbor borrows tools and doesn't bring back

On Jan 22, 10:56*am, "Darrin" wrote:
I need a bit of advice. * *I recently moved into a new house with a big
garage that I've made into my workshop. * My next door neighbor is a really
good guy and comes over to shoot the bull every now and again and I show him
some of the new things I've made (adirondack chairs and tile inlay tables).

snip

Here's my question, is there a way to tell him I can't loan out my tools now
that I'm going to be using them more without ****ing off a neighbor? * * I'm
already going to have to ask for my other tools back since I need them now,
not when he decides he can bring them back. * * It gets to me a bit that he
always wants to borrow *my tools since he works at Home Depot. * * * * I
figure that some of you guys out there have gone through this. * How do you
keep it under control? * * *I know I can say "no" everytime he wants to
borrow something, but won't that make for bad blood?

Uh, is he worrying about ****ing you off? You're the guy getting
screwed.

I have a friend like that. Loan him an axe and he leaves it in the
woods. Loan his wife an airless sprayer and she loses half the parts.
Something on the order of 25 years ago, I said no more and meant it.
We're still friends.