Posted to rec.woodworking
Pat Barber Pat Barber is offline

Default Best saw to cut plywood for furniture

Generally speaking, cross cuts are the worst on plywood.

Ripping can be solved with a decent, "high tooth" count
blade. You solved that.

Build yourself a couple of "guides" out of scraps.

http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/2004/08/13/wb/

You need a "long" one for ripping up sheets of plywood
and a "short" one for doing cross cuts.

You can use the "exact" jig with a router for "trimming"
ends.

You will want to build a "basic" router table at some
point. This is a much easier way to control a router.

http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/etip040700wb.html

I would also consider buying a basic "combo blade" like
a Freud LU84 which is excellent for every day cutting.

Scott wrote:

Thanks all for the the suggestions. I picked up a Freud Diablo 80
tooth blade...ripped through the boards, very straight and smooth. I
didn't use tape, but will remember that tip for later.

I was trying to figure out a way to do it with the router, but
couldn't see how best to run the straight line. The idea of clamping a
straight edge of some sort to the the board and running down that
seems obvious now, may have just been one of those weeks.