Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

Default Saving the planet

simon wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote lots of really useful stuff,
and then this:
7/. One annual trip of 2000 miles by plane (at about 70mpg per
passenger)is peanuts compared with the 12,000 miles you do to commute
to your job at 45mpgh, or less in congestion..

OK, so for a family of four you have to multiply that up, (which you
don't for an equivalent car journey), and 2000 miles is the round-trip
so you "only" get to go 1000 miles away.

To be more realistic, a single holiday to (say) New York for a family of
four equates to an approx. total round trip of 8000 miles per passenger,
so 32,000 miles at 70mpg. So that's the equivalent fuel use of 16,000
miles in a 35mpg car, which is substantially more than I do in a year.

Simon.

I wonder how much of what you consume is airfreighted in, though.

If fuel costs go high enough, time to unmothball the 'queen mary' or
whatever..

whats a liner do..40mph? 3000 miles..? 75 hours..thats three and a bit days.

Nice trip.