Posted to alt.home.repair
Bill Stock Bill Stock is offline

Default OK to put wire mesh on the inside of roof vents?

"Lawrence" wrote in message
oups.com...

Bill Stock wrote:
I've got some critters in the walls/ceiling. I imagine it's squirrels, as
they're making too much noise for mice. I can here them scratching and
rolling objects around at night. I recently had some surgery, so it will
probably be another week before I can drag my butt up into the attic to
check. But we had a new roof put on about a year ago, so I suspect
they're
getting in through the new and improved roof vents. Assuming they are
getting in through the roof vents, I was wondering if I could staple some
heavy metal mesh over the inside of the roof vents to keep them out
temporarily? Would this hold up to a Squirrel attack or are they likely
push the staples out? I will get the roofing company to fix the vents
when
it warms up, but I was hoping this might work for now.

All of the vents I have looked at include screening. How do you know
yours do not?

I'm not even sure the vents are the entry point. But I do know that I did
not have any critters before the roofing job. I realize this doesn't prove
much, but it's a starting point. As for screening on the vents, the buggers
have chewed through the "squirrel proof" screen on the patio door twice.