Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] bamboo@localnet.com is offline

Default New Patio Door and "build up" of sill.

As long as you flash everything to prevent water ingress either method
is suitable. Myself I prefer the wood.
John Gilmer wrote:
We want to replace the slider patio door on a rental. We KNOW the old one
was at least 20 years old and it likely is "original" (35 year old). It's
done its job.

BUT in the original installation the basement was about 1 1/2" above the
level of the patio. The "step down" was at the inside of the rough opening
which meant that the track was below the basement floor.

A home remodeling independent contractor we have engaged on a "time and
materials" basis says "that ain't right." He believes the base of the new
door should be at the basement level. I'm inclined to agree with him.
It's not much of a problem to get the extra room on top if the base is made
1 1/2" or slightly more higher.

The question is: what's the best way of raising this level. Is screwing
some pressure treated wood to the concrete "gud enuf"? Should we create a
dam and place come concrete patch material? I would especially like to
here from one who has faced a similar problem.

While on the subject: someone have strong views on patio doors: which
style is best (slider, French, ??). We have plenty of other work to do on
the place so we aren't in much of a hurry so we want to think thing through.