Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

Default milling machine

"Prometheus" wrote in message
On Sat, 20 Jan 2007 09:48:29 -0800, "gilles"
wrote:

as any one ever used a milling machine as a wood cutting i have just
purchased one but not received it will be in operation in a month or so i
want to make small parts like wheels etc if any one as ever used one i

would
like your feed back on this subject thanks.

How much do you know about mills?

Depends on what you bought, but if you've got a manual mill, odds are
it's going to be less than suitable for making wheels. If it's a CNC
mill, or you have a rotary vise, I'd imagine you can get away with it.

Myself, I'd keep the wood off it, if for no other reason than it'll be
a mess when the sawdust sticks to everything. You'd be better off
machining your wheels out of nylon or something, which is a fairly
common practice on metalworking mills.

And generally speaking, a mill isn't going to spin anywhere near as
fast as something like a router.