Posted to alt.home.repair
Eigenvector Eigenvector is offline

Default Does Thickening Walls Lessen Perceptible Space

"Tom The Great" wrote in message
On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 14:50:04 -0500, "Buck Turgidson"
wrote:

I have wood paneling on furring strips on cinderblock in my basement. For
contractor to redo it with drywall, he needs to do it to code and build
out
almost 2 inches to bring it up to R-13.

I know 1.5 inches is just that, but how much does this perceptibly make a
room smaller? I tend to think it is worth it to have the work done, but
worry a little about losing the space, since it is at a premium.

Actually it's on both sides of the room, so times it by two for lost
space. I would suggest, guessing the room size is large enough to be
worth finishing, live with the size shrinkage, or go to extruded foam.
You might have enough space for the foam to give you the r13.

Just guessing....

tom @ www.YourMoneySavingTips.com

I'm glad this question came up. I was thinking of doing something very
similar to this as a place to hide my rather expensive rifle collection.
Place them behind a false wall - it only has to be about 7 inches wide, so
that to a casual or even thorough robber they won't be stolen. The trick is
hiding the door.