Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Mark is offline

Default Does Thickening Walls Lessen Perceptible Space

If the room is currently furnished, and you plan to return the furniture to
the same general positions, then the best thing to do is look around and
measure to see if anything is not going fit after the loss of the 1.5 inches
(or more if opposite walls will need built out). Otherwise, besides things
like carpet that might need recut to size, you probably aren't going to
notice it unless the room is closet size!

Oh, and if there is existing floor-covering, particularly carpet, make sure
the contactor doesn't build right on top of it. Make him pull it up, or at
least cut and remove where he's building. My bro-in-law had a new laundry
room put in and the guy just built the new walls on the old capet. When he
had a washer leak a few months later he found that the old carpet on the
hall outside the room was UNDER the new wall, and of course was soaked.

"Buck Turgidson" wrote in message
I have wood paneling on furring strips on cinderblock in my basement. For
a contractor to redo it with drywall, he needs to do it to code and build
out almost 2 inches to bring it up to R-13.

I know 1.5 inches is just that, but how much does this perceptibly make a
room smaller? I tend to think it is worth it to have the work done, but
worry a little about losing the space, since it is at a premium.