Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Mark is offline

Default Heat supply duct.. costs?

You're on to a possible way to correct the problem with your ideas of
putting in some screws and trying to pull it back to square. Another way
might be to take the duct going to the bedroom entirely off the main run,
and reach thru the opening and push the collapsed side back up.

As the other poster suggests, you may need a piece of angle-iron screwed
across the collapsed side to hold the area in place.

Replace the bedroom duct and sheetmetal screw it in place.

"Chuck (in SC)" wrote in message
I have a partially collapsed main supply duct on my central heat/air..
It's close to being 24" X 12" X 8 to 10 Ft with two round ducts going
to bedrooms above.. One end of supply section has the large round
duct from heat pump attached through wall, the other end connects to
same type duct but has no problems concerning collapse.

The top of the duct which should be flat, is bowed down about 3 or 4
inches in the middle.. unknown cause. duct is solid, not rusted or
corroded. Only problem other than being a restriction, is that it's
starting to pull away from one of th ducts going to a bedroom,, which
I can "patch".. I had thought of putting self tapping screws in the
middle of the problem then pulling up with crowbar or something..
depending on how expensive is duct repair..untill time for new heat
pump..

This duct is in 3 to 4 ft high crawl space, dry, within 15 feet of
entrance, with power and light . Clean for a crawlspace..

House and system is 22 years old.

I wanted to have a ballpark idea prior to calling someone out.. I
don't get estimates unless I'm ready to get work done almost
immediately.. ..

Does this sound like a $200 type thing or a $2,000 type repair..??

Thanks..
Chuck (in SC)