Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike Ryan Mike Ryan is offline

Default OK to put wire mesh on the inside of roof vents?

On 21 Jan 2007 10:39:42 -0800, "buffalobill"
wrote:

we had them once, we thought they were bowling on the night shift!
the one i saw shinnying up the 4" house corner molding of our clapboard
house had to be stopped with a sheet metal 18" barrier he couldn't
shinny past.
overhanging tree branches were the primary route to the chew-thru
behind the gutter above the 2nd floor.

YES, start by removing all branches that are near the roof, If they
cant get up there, they wont come in.

they are very hard to evict, the longer you wait the more they will
stink up the house if part of the litter dies.
forget about mothballs, hire the local trapper. get started asap:
http://counties.cce.cornell.edu/chem.../squirrels.pdf

http://www.nysipm.cornell.edu/publications/beasts/default.asp?metatags_Action=Find('PID','8')

Bill Stock wrote:
I've got some critters in the walls/ceiling. I imagine it's squirrels, as
they're making too much noise for mice. I can here them scratching and

Mice make a lot of noise for their size.

rolling objects around at night. I recently had some surgery, so it will
probably be another week before I can drag my butt up into the attic to
check. But we had a new roof put on about a year ago, so I suspect they're
getting in through the new and improved roof vents. Assuming they are
getting in through the roof vents, I was wondering if I could staple some
heavy metal mesh over the inside of the roof vents to keep them out
temporarily? Would this hold up to a Squirrel attack or are they likely to
push the staples out? I will get the roofing company to fix the vents when
it warms up, but I was hoping this might work for now.

Depends on what you mean by staples. A staple gun staple is probably
too weak, a hammer in fencing staple should work fine. Roofing nails
work good too. Use washers on them if necessary, or use screws with
washers for easy removal, such as drywall screws or just plain wood or
sheet metal type screws.