Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike Ryan Mike Ryan is offline

Default Noise in House electrical ?

Without hearing the sound, this is just a guess. There were many
other good suggestions on here, and dimmers and CF bulbs come to mind
for me too. But I did not see anyone say anything about a noisy small
transformer. There are usually two in most homes. One is for the
doorbell, the other is for the furnace controls and thermostat. They
can be quite annoying if they contain a loose winding / core. I'd
start by shutting off every breaker except the one for the stereo.
See if you still hear the noise. If yes, it's on THAT circuit, if
not, turn on one more breaker. Keep doing that till the noise starts.
Once you find which circuit is causing it, trace that entire circuit
till you find the cause. Another thing to do is shut off the furnace
completely and see if that stops it. If you follow your doorbell
wires, you will find the transformer. Listen for it to buzz.
The only way to find something like this is by process of elimination.
Therefore find which circuit is causing the problem first, then
disable everyting on that circuit one by one. If it's the doorbell
transformer, they are real easy to change. They are a common source
of buzzing sounds. Not that they are prone to problems, but when one
is noisy, it will always be noisy.

On Sat, 20 Jan 2007 09:32:03 -0500, "tc88" wrote:

I have this buzzing noise in my house electrical system.

I can hear it in a stereo I have in my Office and I bought my wife a
new clock radio for Christmas and that is up stairs in the bedroom and
it comes through that radio also. These are the only two things I hear
it in. It is a short buzz that last about a second and happens about
every 10-15 seconds.

Any body have an idea what it could be and how to get rid of it.

The house is a new house that is only 3 years old.

Thanks,