Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] robson@nf.sympatico.ca is offline

Default Ice in gutters

terry wrote:
Me wrote: in response to "Remove gutters. No further problems".

That's fine for the desert where you live and it never rains.

.
Nah. Northeastern Canada. It rains and blows here a kilometre from the
North Atlantic. Snows too.
Although have only twice in some 36+ years had to actually shovel off
the roof. First time it took 13 hours shoveling and our estimate of the
weight of snow was a couple of tons!
On one of those occasions seriously considered hoisting the
snow-blower up on the roof and clearing it that way. But normally snow
just blows away. When ten inches of snow melts that's one inch of water
and sometimes quite quickly too.

Only used the blower (on the ground!) once so far this winter; it's
rained more than snowed. Compared to the amount of snow only a few
years ago probably due to global warming. Also acid rain which is
affecting clean water supplies.

Can't remember the annual rainfall here but it's considerable! A couple
of inches rain over several days would be quite normal. On both our
homes, since 1960, we have not installed gutters.
This 36+ year old house has sufficient overhangs (24 inches) to drop
water away from the basement wall. Although those overhangs do
sometimes catch the wind which quite often will hit 60 mph (100
kilometres) or more.

Experience by others seems to be that gutters can cause rot, overflow,
fill up with debris etc. And except for two short sections; one over
our front porch step and secondly the sliding glass doors from our
family room out onto the deck at the back would not be necessary
anyway?

So in a nut shell gutters seem unnecessary. If it's raining hard you
don't normally go in and out anyway! And if it's blowing, a common
occurrence, the water will go in various directions anyway.

Cheers. Have fun and get rid of the gutters!

I too live in the northeast. Freeze / thaw. 4 seasons can occur in one
day. The purpose of the gutters on my home is to draw water away from
the foundation - not to keep me 1/2 dry when exiting my home. I do
question the 24" theory but whatever works for you. I do have a 3 foot
overhang on my A frame summer home however the slate roof and the pitch
is like teflon - nothing sticks to it. I'll keep that in mind if I
ever decide to replace the roof / trusses on my exhisting home. I
suspect the OP's use for rain gutters is the same as mine (foundation).
For now I still recc. salt for a slow melt and cables for next year.