Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Attic ventilation problem

Phisherman wrote:
Buy cardboard or styrofoam "chimneys" that attach to the underside of
the roof. Buy a chimney for every space between the rafters. Pull
away the insulation, tack up the chimney (I used a staple gun), and
put the insulation back in place, against the chimney. Use a pole or
broom handle, dust mask, long sleeves, protective clothing. Now is a
good time to do this task, before the attic summer heat. You might
consider adding more soffet vents too. Attic fans work, but these
can be noisy, add to your energy usage.

If you read the thread, he can't do that because the slope/construction
of the roof prevents him from getting anywhere near the area of the
insulation/soffits.

On 20 Jan 2007 10:32:28 -0800, "sserrels"
wrote:

My house is one half of a prefab duplex from the 80's. Last week I went
into the attic and found mold covering the roof sheathing. It had not
been there a few weeks earlier. The attic is supposed to be vented by
soffit vents and ridge vent, but I found that the air is not flowing up
from the soffit to the ridge like it should. The only moving air in the
attic is the air blowing in from the ridge vent. The soffits are
blocked by fiberglass batts and an additional layer of blown in
insulation. So there's practically no ventilation.

Now here's the problem: the roof pitch is something like 2/12 and the
rafters (except those at the soffit vent) run parallel to the ridge.
The pitch is so shallow that I can't get any closer than maybe 10 feet
away from the soffit vent from inside the attic. I can't clear out the
insulation blocking the vents. Plus, if I did remove the insulation,
the ceilings of the rooms below would be exposed and uninsulated for a
couple of feet from the outside wall.

I'm considering buying an electric attic fan and just forgetting the
soffit vent. Any ideas?

Shawn