Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ron(UK) Ron(UK) is offline

Default Fixing flaky buttons

StellarTech wrote:

I realise that your advice was made with the best intentions, and that you
advised a sparing amount of WD40 be applied, but having worked for well
over 30 years in the repair of professional sound equipment, I've seen
much otherwise serviceable gear reduced to scrap due to the misguided (and
usually very liberal) application of WD40.

Ask yourself, or any of the people here who design and build electronics
for a living this, would you be happy to let Joe Public spray WD40 into an
item of equipment that you have a responsibility for?

OPMMV

It`s great on rusty nuts and spark plug leads tho.

Ron(UK)

Point well taken. Seen from that point of view, (and remembering all the
vcrs I've seen saturated with WD-40 because it was making a "squealing"
noise), I must admit you're correct. As one career tech to another, I'm sure
you can see my point. I sometimes forget that the "advice" to a novice
servicer can get waaaay out of hand. I stand corrected. But do you know of
ANY chemical product that would behave similarly, I.e. penetrate to the
carbon button & contacts, that wouldn't leave a residue? I would be leery to
use any aggressive solvents.

The best I have ever found is/was a product from Philips called Contact
Cleaner 390CCS, tho it does leave an oily film. I`m told that this is no
longer available. I`m down to my last can, so if anyone knows who stocks
it I`d be obliged.

Our 'leftpodian' friends seem to swear by Caig products for switch and
pot cleaning, tho I dont thnk they are easily available on this side of
the pond. A little touch of neat isopropanol is probably safest.

Ron(UK)

--
Lune Valley Audio
Public Address Systems