Posted to rec.woodworking
WoodButcher WoodButcher is offline

Default Delta bandsaw motor replacement

Have you checked the centrifugal switch on the motor shaft?
It's supposed to open the contacts when the motor gets up to
speed. If it doesn't, it can burn up the starting cap.

Art

"The Cross-eyed Barber" wrote in message
A neighbor gave me a Delta model 28-185 band saw that the start
capacitor was burned up on. He had removed it and no longer has it. I
took the info off the motor and got a start capacitor from an
electrical supply house. It burned up almost imediately. Went to
another supply house and got another capacitor that they recommended.
Same result. I think the motor probably needs replacement.

1. Is it worth replacing, or should I just scrap the whole thing?

2. Where would I find a replacement? IIRC to get a replacement you
need to have the motor frame number. I can't find a frame number on
this thing to save my life. I can't afford a new bandsaw right now,
so that is out of the question.

Thanks for any advise.