Posted to rec.woodworking
D Smith D Smith is offline

Default Delta bandsaw motor replacement

The Cross-eyed Barber writes:

A neighbor gave me a Delta model 28-185 band saw that the start
capacitor was burned up on. He had removed it and no longer has it. I
took the info off the motor and got a start capacitor from an
electrical supply house. It burned up almost imediately. Went to
another supply house and got another capacitor that they recommended.
Same result. I think the motor probably needs replacement.

1. Is it worth replacing, or should I just scrap the whole thing?

2. Where would I find a replacement? IIRC to get a replacement you
need to have the motor frame number. I can't find a frame number on
this thing to save my life. I can't afford a new bandsaw right now,
so that is out of the question.

Thanks for any advise.

If it needs a start capacitor, it may also have an extra set of start
windings, and these will be wired through some sort of centrifugal switch.
If that switch is not opening, the start windings will not be disengaged
after the motor reaches speed, and it will burn out the capacitor fairly
quickly.

The switch will be mounted on the motor shaft, under the cover at one
end (probably the non-business end). It will have some sort of spring
assembly that will close the switch when the motor is not rotating, but as
the motor spins up the switch will "click" open.

Could be cover in dust and not moving, the contacts burned and not
releasing. May be able to replace the switch, or clean it.