Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Best saw to cut plywood for furniture

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am building a desk from plywood, 1/2" and 3/4". I used a table saw
and circular saw to rough cut after I marked the layouts on the boards,
leaving about a 1/4" extra on each side.

I'm trying to get smooth straight edges, but have been failing so far.
Table saw seems not smooth enough. Circular saw not straight enough. I
plan on working on more furniture in the future, nothing fancy, and
probably most plywood or pine.

Would a band saw be a better option? Jigsaw, scroll saw...?

Probably worse.

This is more just hobby right now, but still want to do better than
what I've ended up with so far.

Normally on a table saw you cut plywood with the good side up, and with a
circular saw, with the good side down.

A sharp blade and one for cutting plywood is recommended, but if you only
have the one blade you can try the following:

With good side down and blade lowered, make shallow scoring cut through
veneer; raise blade, and with same edge against fence as scoring cut, flip
plywood to good side up and finish cut.

Try it on a scrap piece first.

YMMV ...

--