Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Delta bandsaw motor replacement

The first thing to do is to talk to Delta direct see
http://www.deltamachinery.com/index.asp?e=96
You can probably get your electric motor rebuild locally. Or after talking
(although you saw appear to be discontinued) to Delta they may have an
electrical motor to replace your or recommend a service depot.
I have dealt with them before and found them to be very knowledgeable and
accommodating.
Good luck

wrote in message
In article ,
The Cross-eyed Barber wrote:
A neighbor gave me a Delta model 28-185 band saw that the start
capacitor was burned up on. He had removed it and no longer has it. I
took the info off the motor and got a start capacitor from an
electrical supply house. It burned up almost imediately. Went to
another supply house and got another capacitor that they recommended.
Same result. I think the motor probably needs replacement.

1. Is it worth replacing, or should I just scrap the whole thing?

2. Where would I find a replacement? IIRC to get a replacement you
need to have the motor frame number. I can't find a frame number on
this thing to save my life. I can't afford a new bandsaw right now,
so that is out of the question.

Thanks for any advise.

Isn't this one of the little 9" bentchtop models? Whatever you decide,
keep in mind that that the entire saw only costs about $100 new. My
advice is that unless you can find the parts for free or close to it,
don't bother.

--
Often wrong, never in doubt.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore, Maryland -