Posted to rec.woodworking
DanG DanG is offline

Default Delta bandsaw motor replacement

You need to take the old motor out anyway. Remove it and take it
with you. The nameplate should be on the motor telling
horsepower, voltage, phase, amp draw, etc. The biggies are going
to be motor rotation (usually reversible) and shaft diameter so
you can re use your pulley. These can often be reworked to run
with any old motor and pulley like a dryer motor, etc. It shows
to be a .2 horsepower motor.

About all the frame size does for you is allow the bolts to fit
that hold it on the machine. Most of these machines are fairly
adjustable about motor frame bolt up except for the ones held by
their neck and I'm afraid yours might be.

Go to:
Grainger
Harbor Freight
Johnstone Supply
Yellow pages for electric motor rewinding. If you start here,
they may be able to diagnose yours. You may simply need bearings.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DanG

"The Cross-eyed Barber" wrote in
message ...
A neighbor gave me a Delta model 28-185 band saw that the start
capacitor was burned up on. He had removed it and no longer has
it. I
took the info off the motor and got a start capacitor from an
electrical supply house. It burned up almost imediately. Went
another supply house and got another capacitor that they
recommended.
Same result. I think the motor probably needs replacement.

1. Is it worth replacing, or should I just scrap the whole
thing?

2. Where would I find a replacement? IIRC to get a replacement
you
need to have the motor frame number. I can't find a frame
number on
this thing to save my life. I can't afford a new bandsaw right
now,
so that is out of the question.

Thanks for any advise.